Thursday, March 14, 2013

Exploring Roles in the ECE Community: Local and State Levels

This week I have put much thought into organizations that I would like to be a part of my ideal community of practice. Below is a list of those organizations and why I chose them. I have also included job opportunities that I would like to explore in each of these organizations.

1. Vision for Children at Risk http://visionforchildren.org/

This nonprofit organization informs the community about the needs of children in the St. Louis area. They govern over the St. Louis Metropolitan Children's Agenda, which is composed of children's agencies that work to meet the needs of at risk children in the area. The VCR's mission is to serve economically disadvantaged young people and ensure their well-being. Specifically, they research the needs of St. Louis children at risk, collaborate with others, and advocate on their behalf. The reason I chose to highlight this organization is because they state that they are committed to being an agent for positive social change in St. Louis. Being a part of the Walden community, I also share this same passion. Children who are at risk benefit most from quality education and care. This organization recognizes this and aims to address this issue in my community.

The job that interests me within this organization is project coordinator. The project coordinator works closely with the St. Louis Family and Community Partnership to plan initiatives and strategies to address issues related to children and their families. A person in this position would need to know the needs and issues related to children and their families in the St. Louis area. One should have experience working with children and families and collaborating with other organizations.

2. Association for the Education of Young Children- Missouri (AEYC-MO) http://www.aeyc-mo.org/

   AEYC-MO is an affiliate of the National Association for the Education of Young Children. This organization focuses on educating the community and policymakers about issues related to the early childhood field. They develop policy briefs that focus on topics of interest in the state of Missouri. Along with developing policies, this organization provides access to professional development for those who work with young children. I chose this organization because it was created for early childhood professionals who want to foster the healthy development and well-being of young children through quality education and other services. Like me, their vision is to ensure that all young children are well-prepared for school.

The job that is of interest to me in this organization is the quality: outreach, support, and accreditation committee chair. This person helps early childhood programs through the NAEYC accreditation process. The position requires that one know the accreditation process thoroughly and understands what represents quality in early childhood education and care. In addition, one would have to have good organizational and communication skills in order to assist early childhood programs effectively. All documents would have to be organized and explained clearly so that program directors will know exactly what to do to improve the quality of their program and receive accreditation from the NAEYC.

3. YMCA of Greater St. Louis (Y) http://www.ymcastlouis.org/

I have chosen to include The YMCA of Greater St. Louis because they are involved with several other organizations that advocate for young children. The Y believes in using developmentally appropriate practices to educate and foster the healthy development of young children. Their early childhood education centers and preschools provide a safe atmosphere and emphasize the development of social skills. They offer quality services to young children from low income families.

The job that interests me the most is early childhood education center director. The director is responsible for overseeing the staff and making sure that the children and their families are receiving quality care. The director should have several years of experience in the early childhood field and have knowledge about young children's growth and development. Also, this position requires that one works well with adults. The center director should be able to train the staff and willingly offer their support on a regular basis. I am interested in this position because I am eager to share the knowledge that I have received from Walden and my years in the field with others to improve early childhood care and education in my community.

6 comments:

  1. I hope that you will join and become involved in a leadership role in AEYC-MO. The Association for the Education of Young Children gave me everything that I needed to improve my practice, advocate, and mentor others. Nationally, AEYC has struggled recently due to the economic crisis. We valso need new leaders to step up to keep the association vital and relevant.

    I encourage you to join and to take on any opportunity that comes your way to exercise your leadership skills and share your knowledge!

    I was a member of AEYC since the the mid-1980s (if I remember correctly - it was a long time ago). It was perhaps the single best thing I ever did. I attended workshops presented by Louise Derman-Sparks in person! I was on the same affiliate board as Julie Benavides and became affilaite president aftyer Kisha Champion Williamson. These are people we heard from in the media resources, but through AEYC I met them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krista,
    I never thought about the YMCA being a resource for advocating for children, but you are very correct in that! I am interested in researching the effects of poverty at an early age. (I am still a little lost on how to exactly narrow down my topic...)Thank you for directing me to this source!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista,
    Thanks for sharing!
    We need to focus on the healthy development of our children for it is not enough that they are just developing, we need to ask the question ‘how healthy’. Majority of our children, if not all, do not create time to exercise their body systems. This is in addition to eating “junk foods.” The involvement of our children in social skills from tender ages is of great importance as they have tendency to grow according to how they are being shaped from early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista,
    Thesea are interesting choices. I was talking to my daughter about the YMCA. We don't have one in our area, but I was born in St. Louis and I know those are great choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista,

    I love your interest in the AEYC-MO. Last year I became very involved in the AEYC - Fort Worth TX Chapter. It has been a very rewarding experience and I am so glad that I took that first step.

    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Krista,
    I definitely encourage your involvement in any NAEYC affiliate organization.

    ReplyDelete