Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Time Well Spent

I have had a wonderful learning experience at Walden University. All of my instructors and colleagues contributed to my professional growth throughout this program.

Deeply Felt Learnings
One of the deeply felt learnings that I have acquired from this program is to welcome and recognize diversity. People are diverse in many ways, and I have learned to respect these differences. I am willing and open to listen to the opinions of others even if I may not agree with them. I am definitely more accepting of differences since studying diversity during the program. Additionally, I have learned how to think critically and reflect over my learning. Being challenged in each course to think critically and reflect on what I have learned has helped me to grow in my professional as well as my personal life. Finally, both of these learning strategies have deepened my thinking regarding educating adults. From my own adult learning experience in the Walden program, I have learned how to promote cognitive development in adults and design an engaging adult learning experience.

Long-Term Goal
One long-term goal that I have is to develop a Christian curriculum that is developmentally appropriate and emphasizes differentiated instruction. I also want to make the curriculum easy to use for teachers. I have had experiences using several faith-based curriculums in my early childhood classroom. In my opinion, their outcomes and goals for the learners were not age-appropriate and did not address various learning styles. Furthermore, the curriculums were not user friendly. I would love to address these issues by creating a faith-based curriculum that can be easily implemented in early childhood programs and meet the needs of young children.

A Note To My Colleagues
It has truly been a pleasure to work with you and learn from you for the past couple of years. I hope to work with you again in the future. I wish you all the best as you continue to do the work that you are passionate about!
"So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable."
-Christopher Reeve

A Note To Dr. Teri
You are a tremendous example of what an adult educator should be. From you, I have learned how to pull the best out of my adult learners.
"The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires."
-William Arthur Ward
Thank you for being a GREAT teacher!!!

 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your farewell, Good Luck in the future. Thanks for all your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Krista!
    This is the first time I've met you because we've never had any classes together. Thanks for sharing such an inspirational farewell. If I had to sum up the most important lesson during my stay here at Walden, I say "Diversity, Differences, Acceptance." I wish you well on your continued success! Keep up the Great Work as a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May you inspire many who will, in turn, inspire many more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krista -
    You are a great inspiration! May your journey be full of success! Good Luck!
    Schlee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Krista,
    The pleasure is mutual, and I hope we have opportunity to work together in future. As you have come to the end of this program successfully, whatever looks impossible needs focus, determination and passion to sail through. Therefore, I wish you success in your entire endeavor!

    ReplyDelete